Strathcona County is home to 11,000 small businesses (including 220 manufacturing companies) that make up a diverse business sector. I believe, more can be done to support, retain and grow our urban and rural businesses.
As your Mayor, I will lead Council to:
- Support innovation and diversification of new and existing business.
- Encourage youth in business.
- Increase focus on ecological, agricultural and sports tourism.
- Create strategies to make Strathcona County one of the top places in the world to start a business and do business in.
- Building off the success of the Mayor’s Task Force on Community Housing, establish a Mayor’s Task Force focused on Economic Innovation & Development to leverage the success of local business leaders and innovators to further economic development and diversification in Strathcona County.
- Specifically the Task Force will focus on preparing Strathcona County for the economy and jobs of tomorrow and identify what the County can do to enable business and remove barriers. It will explore partnerships and support the development of a regional centre of Excellence and Innovation. It will explore the opportunity to create a business incubator and make spaces that will support the diversification, development and growth of small businesses.
- Continue to build on our successes hosting regional, national and international sporting events, and work with our community partners to develop a sport and event attraction strategy.